Sunday, March 19, 2006

RENT: How do I put this in words...

I just got done watching the film version of the musical RENT. Once you get past the fact that the musical has the some ridiculous lyrics, I mean who speaks like that especially in such highly emotional situations,(I probably shouldn't even mention the 80's electric guitar riff backing track). The characters were all kinda caricatures of people who try to live the bohemian lifestyle in New York (I had to laugh whenever I saw the lead character cause he just looked so out of place (he looks a lot like my friend Jeff Hochstettler) and then the "hard core rocker" turns out to sing pop not even as hard as Avril Lavigne. Besides the bizarrely unpoetic lyrics, and cool "Saved by the Bell like" instrumentation, it is a powerful film, which I'm sure would probably be better on stage and either way is worth a watch.

It's one of those films that leaves you wanting something, not something more from the film but something more from your life. It's a feeling that's really hard to describe. I get sort of an uneasiness in the top of my stomach and my head feels like it's getting hot from my mind racing too much. It's about that X factor of life that we're all missing but desperately want, whether we're Christian or not. I think at least part of it boils down to community. We all want people just to accept us the way we are, without having to change who we are to fit them. It's about having friends stick by us in our hardest and darkest moments, like having 6 people out searching for you when you've gone back to your old addiction, or like having someone hold you for hours when you're sick and close to death. It's about that love relationship that you feel can bring you back even from death.

We all yearn for something like that. We do find it here and there, but only for moments. It's those few minutes on the train back from town when people are falling asleep around/or on half on top of you and you look around a realize you're fulfilled. It's those moments in church where a new song manages to escape cheezyness and catches you and those you're around up in worship of our Creator. But those moments always end. Someone says something to bring you back to reality, or the night ends or the worship leader decides this would be a perfect time to transpose key, and the moment's ruined.

Those moments though, usually aren't real, they're just images of something that we long for but don't fully realize. I have to believe though that there are groups out there who will fully accept us for who we are with no pretenses, who will forgive when we are our stupid selves and will keep coming back when we're lonely. Somehow, I think relationships like that are hindered by our middle class. We're too used to being in control, we have too much choice in life and this flows over into relationships.

I remember freshman year when I was having sort of a bad time with one of my good friends who lived on my floor, it didn't end up that we forgave and went back to being friends, instead he coldly told me that he had other friends and that he didn't care about restoring the relationship, he didn't need to be my friend. I was shocked, I didn't know that people so easily took on and took off friendships like that. I didn' realize how much of a whimsical choice friendship could be to people.

I don't know where this post is going. The movie raised a lot of issues that the church (which is where we're supposed to get relationships built on love and commitment) shuts out and doesn't deal with. Issues of AIDS, homosexual love, addiction, self expression, poverty, loneliness and gender to name a few. The sad thing is that this movie probably offered more hope to most people dealing with the issues above than the Church-wide message usually does. The really sad thing is that so many of us in our church deal with these issues and others.

The hope the film offered was shallow for me. It's message "There's no future, There's no past" so let's live today like it's our last. Instead our hope can rest in the knowledge that

"Christ is coming to make all things new."

____________________________________

I just found this quote from the composer and lyricist of the musical, who lived in the area of the Village that he wrote about. He said:

"With this work I celebrate my friends and the many others who continue to fulfill their dreams and to live their lives in the shadow of AIDS. In these dangerous times, where it seems the world is ripping apart at the seams, we can all learn how to survive from those who stare death squarely in the face every day, and we should reach out to each other and bond as a community, rather than hide from the terrors of life at the end of the millennium."

I can't fault his motives, and he's lived there with the people he's writting about so maybe his lyrics are authentic after all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should watch the documentary of the film. It is all about Jonathan Larson, the guy who wrote the show, and how it was created and finally produced. I'm only half through it but it has been really interesting. It sheds light on a lot of the characters and situations in the show. He seemed like a quirky guy with a heart overflowing with love for people and music.

Anonymous said...

You know, my Yahoo messenger Launchcast started playing "Bohemian Like You" by The Dandy Warhols as I began reading this entry... I kid you not.