Tuesday, May 01, 2007

May is here and the heat is Gone!

So I noticed something tonight, something was unusual as I sat here working on my computer....the difference was that my arm wasn't burning. Due to the random way my room is set up (with built-in unmovable furniture) I would usually spend the evening trying not to rest my arm on the burning hot radiator as I typed. Thankfully, it's May 1st and they've finally turned the heating off (I'm sure i'll be complaining of the cold soon enough...it's always the way).

This week on the course our learning has been structured around the topic of Anaemia. Who knew there were so many different types and causes for it, and how serious it can be.... interesting stuff, although I can't really see myself being a haematologist. At least I can take one residency field off the list. (My latest thought of residency, doing a combined 5-year programme leading to certification in both Family Practice and Emergency Medicine).....I hate the way I'm so enamoured by the future, it's a real vice. I've been this way all my life, when I was 9 and wanted to be an 'animal trainer for the movies' I had already researched the career path and knew which university I wanted to go to (Moorpark College by the way).

Today brought the reality of the importance of the 'hear and now' to life. We had our mock OSCE exams. OSCEs are Objective Structured Clinical Exams, that basically are clinical practicals. They test us on everything from communication skills, establishing rapport, to ascertaining diagnosis, skills like taking blood pressure or doing a cardiac examination, or even teaching someone how to use their inhaler properly for Asthma. They're nerve racking enough. I had difficulty getting this woman's blood pressure reading because I was so stressed that all I could hear in the ear-piece of the stethoscope was the sound of my own pulse racing inside my head. The practice was good though, and I think it has made me more prepared for our exams (just 4 weeks away now...).

Summer is here, essays are done, the end is in sight, and life is good.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes, we've been getting some warmer weather here too. And they've switched the air conditioning back on at the school. Yes, anemia and blood stuff is(are?) rather interesting. We started neuro at the end of March, and are actually down to only 5 classes, only two difficult, which is quite nice. I find neuro stuff quite interesting, but I can't quite figure out how that would fit with working with a Spanish speaking population. We shall see... I think there should be some sort of balance between living in the present and thinking/planning toward the future-some of both. I think its perhaps human nature, perhaps related to that ultimate hope of a brighter future in heaven. maybe?
teeeheeeheeeheeeheee, that is officially awesome that you wanted to be an animal trainer for the movies and had even figured out where-that makes me smile. I was a little more straightforward-at that point I wanted to be a vet. I don't think I'd thought about the college where tho:) "here and now" tho I suppose you did listen;} We have our final standardized patient interview on the 15th, tho as I think I mentioned, that won't include the physical part. And hmmm, I thought your exams were beginning of July, not beginning of June. Have I been off a month all this time??? Our last exam is June 1st, after which I'm in the process of figuring out how to get down to West Virginia for the other big wedding of the year. Alas that you shall not be in attendance(?). It will be good to see the girls tho!!! Then I'm off to Vermont for my retake physio class (housing and such also in progress). Okey dokey, now that I've submerged your blog in Krissy commentary. returning to work: brainstem on-line tutorial (really helpful) currently. take care.