Sunday, January 07, 2007

Books that deserve my attention but probably won't get it...

Well, I made it back to southampton alright. It's pouring down rain here, but I'm just thankful to be back and finally done with travelling for the moment.

I've decided to put off editing on the essays i need to do in order to list a few books that I'm really wanting to read but that this medical school thing combined with the fact that i'm a really slow reader, are making impossible.

These aren't in order by the way.....

1) The White Man's Burden: Why the West's Efforts to Aid the Rest Have Done So Much Ill and So Little Good by William Easterly (2006)

A rigorous study of the overall failure of the attempts of the North to transplant its institutions on the South and propel economic, social and political development.

2) Gandhi, Autobiography: The Story of My Experiments with Truth

-I've started this one, and it's good, really interesting. I'm finding myself having to look up a lot of the hindi/samskrit terminology he uses, but i'm finding his ideas fascinating....i'm only 20 pages in though, so it's still slow going, and i'm guessing i won't get to read anymore till easter.

3) Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell

-I want to read it partly for reasons of being conversant when it's brought up in conversation, but also partly to know what this book that i keep recomending to people really has to say....slightly worried.

4) From Wild Man to Wise Man: Reflections on Male Spirituality by Richard Rohr and Joseph Martos

-it's a topic that always interests me, almost because the term "Male Spirituality" can sometimes in our society be seen as an oxymoron. I also have a deep respect for Richard Rohr, partly be recomendation, partly from listening to him speak and partly from the work I read by him on the Enneagram.


5) Is the Reformation Over?: An Evangelical Assessment of Contemporary Roman Catholicism

-although I'm not sure I like the title of this book, cause the question itself almost sounds triumphalist to me.... i am deeply intrigued by the idea. There is so much that I see as good in the Catholic tradition, especially among the religious orders. There is so much history and depth of understanding in the traditions of spiritual direction, that I have many times thought about conversion. There is still however, in my mind, some things which keep me from doing this. I believe this book, by one of the worlds most reknowned scholar of modern christianity would greatly increase my understanding.


These are some of the first that come to mind. I'm also open to any suggestions if you have any that you think would be good for me to get a hold of.

5 comments:

SvenJosefson said...

Would like to recommend that you take a look at Edward Said's "Orientalism" if you feel you can squeeze another book in there.

Anonymous said...

Richard Rohr
Themes:
Scripture as liberation, integration of action and contemplation,
community building, peace and justice issues
male spirituality
enneagram
eco-justice
Critics say he:
denies the existence of Hell highlights Jesus' teachings without upholding traditional understandings of the Incarnation
work reflects Universalist understanding of the presence of God in the world and in human lives

Is a contributing editor and writer for Sojourners magazine and also writes for the National Catholic Reporter. (wikipedia)

Interesting fellow.

Mike and Sarah said...

There are worse things my "anonymous" friend that that. I have much to learn from people who differ theologically with me, but i would have to withold my judgment of Rohr's theological views, as I know Wikipedia is often not a great source for accurate biographical information. I'm especially interested to know more about his view of incarnation...that would be very interesting indeed.

Anonymous said...

People that deserve your blogging but will probably never get it...
1. Laura O'Neill
2. Aprile Kavanagh
3. Roberta Harris
4. Joey Von Meding
5. George Griffin
6. Jeff!!!
The list goes on!!!!

Anonymous said...

man, you're just getting hit up with these anonymous, or pseudonym people!
How goes it being back?