Sunday, July 02, 2006

New Beginings

Well I guess all good things (or bad things...depending on your point of view have to come to an end.) A few of my friends (meaning mainly Aprile), decided to christen me Wormwood because of my role with Amnesty as a "chugger" (Charity-Mugger).

This past friday they asked 3 of the four of us new people and two of the ones who had been there longer to come into the main office for a meeting. My team leader assured me that they just like having the new people in after their first week to see how things are going and to enourage us to keep getting more members. I had just got another member before the meeting started so I was feeling pretty good. The two days before had been quite good for me as well, after the begining of the week which I was finding slow. One of the team leaders said he was going to recomend me for the job of team-leader myself because he saw how good I was doing with the job. So needless to say I was a bit shocked when our manager said "I'd usually like to give you much more notice than this, but this will be your last day working with us." Apparantely they had had to really convince the board that our group should be hired, and so they had released some cash for our positions to be put in place. We hadn't though been getting enough members to really earn our keep and normally they would keep us on another few days to see if we would improve (which I felt I was really doing) and to give us a better chance, but because funding was so bad at the moment they had to let us go right away. i'm not too angry, in reality the job is about numbers of members and I don't want to become a financial burden on Amnesty if I'm supposed to be fundraising for them. A guy I met in the pub when we went out for drinks afterwards (who himself had been fired from Amnesty the week before) said that Amnesty was starting to realize they were paying us too much money but couldn't reduce our pay untill next year when they start hiring again.

So I'm back on the job hunt. You could pray that if God wants me to get a job, so that I can earn money, that he would open the doors that need to be opened and would give me the patience, perseverence, and peace to find the right one (-do you like that alliteration there?...).

3 comments:

Mark said...

Man, that stinks. At least it was nothing personal. I'll be praying that something will turn up soon.

Anonymous said...

Well phooey. I was excited to hear about the amnesty thing, so that's a disappointment it didn't work out. It sounds rather tacky on their part, in my humble estimation. I pray that you find something for the rest of the summer, even if it ends up being a temp something or another.

Anonymous said...

I for one am delighted! I mean if they hadn't have fired you you'd still be there working in hell, selling your soul to satan and your dignity to random passers by! Good on ya Mike!!! I say that with utter love for ya!!! ;)