Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Is the Gospel Revolutionary?

As I was reading my brother's blog today, I found a post of his where he talked about our desire for a revolutionary Gospel. He points out that sadly, the revolution that Christ's Gospel brings is not the one we're looking for. Christ's revolution is much harder than that one's that we might fanticize about, but it is the only one that can bring peace to this world. Last semester I had the chance to listen to an incredible Chrsitian thinker from the Philippines (I really wish I could remember her name), she made the point that the difficult (and wonderful) thing about Christ's Gospel is that it is not revolutionary at all (I might not go that far but she did).
Revolutions deal with tearing down social structures and building up new ones. This is not necessarily the message Christ shows us. Instead of being revolutionary Christ's Gospel is transformational. Think of how God approaches humans, he comes in and works with us as we are. Instead of extracting the poison inside of us out, he places himself in the middle of it all and turns what was evil into good. I think it may be the same way for societies. Societies need structures for life, so maybe tearing down these structures before new ones are in place will cause more death than life. God loves to bring transformation and make structures that were once meant for evil now for good.

No comments: