Wednesday, March 16, 2005

HNGR 101

I just spent the last 3 hours in my HNGR preparation class. While I was in California over Christmas, I got the idea that most people really didn't quite understand what this HNGR thing was all about. Most thought I was going over to do something good for the poor people in Cambodia. That's really not what this program is about. In class tonight I was again struck by some of the main goals of HNGR.

First of all we are going to learn. We are not going to learn how to do development, or how to help people or how to do ministry. Instead, we are going purposefully to learn from the people we are living with, the poor. I am not going in order to show people how they should live or act, that would be idiotic. I come from a completely different culture, class and background (not to mention language). How on earth could I teach the first thing about how to live in Cambodia? I am going to instead to try to understand what life is like for those I will be among, what is important to them and what concerns they have. Even after the 6 months that I spend there I will just be begining to understand life in Cambodia and who Cambodians are.

People also ask me what I will be doing there. Godwilling, I'll be working in a medically related national organization with whatever they want me to do. Besides that I really don't have a clue. I'm requred to do an independent study while I'm there on a topic that I'll have to figure out while I'm there (and hopefully one that will benefit the organization), and also will have to do some reading assignments and papers throughout the internship. The focus of HNGR though, is more on just being rather than doing. In reality, especially for the first while that I'm in Cambodia, I'll be more like a baby than anything. I won't know how to communicate, how to eat right, where to go to the toilet, proper manners. I really won't be in much of a position to DO anything really helpfull at all. Hopefully, in time, with the help of my hosts I will begin to adjust and learn how to interact in society and serve in whatever ways I can.

So why am I doing this then if I probably won't be really helping anyone? There are a lot of reasons and most have to do with God. It is in the times when we are least in control, when we are most uncomfortable, that we are forced to rely on God for our strength. God desires us to be in situations of displacement in order to reveal himself to us. God called Abraham to leave everything he knew to follow him. The apostle Paul, a beacon of Jewish religiosity was sent to minister to Gentiles. Barnabas and Paul were in charge of the first multi-ethnic church, in Antioch. I pray that God will use this time to teach me more about who he is and his love for those who are different from me.

I also am going to learn more about God's heart for the poor. Throughout the Bible, God talks about love and justice for the poor almost more than any other topic. His heart is with the poor and so I want my heart to be there too. This is hard when I surround myself with my comfort blanket of much material wealth, so I hope these 6 months will be an opportunity to identify with and rely on those who are without.

I also don't want to be entirely pessimistic about my internship too. It is entirely possible that God will decide to use me in whatever way he likes. He often likes to use us in our weakest moments. Often the simple act of learning can be empowering to those who are teaching and in that way I may help to empower the poor who will be my teachers and my family.

If you have any questions about the HNGR program, or anything that I've said, let me know.

1 comment:

mhkingsley said...

I'm so happy for you Mike. God so needs people willing to minister to the poor and less lerned of the world, teaching them the basics about health and hygine. Maybe you can even teach them to read! What a blessing you will be to these people.

- Holy Jo