Friday, October 12, 2007

So did anybody else have a little chuckle when they heard about today's announcement of Al Gore's new Nobel Peace Prize? I have to say, this is more than a little disappointing. Not that I don't believe that the issues his recent campaign cause of Climate change isn't extremely important, it'll probably end up being one of the most important issues in my lifetime, but Al Gore? It's no where near April, so I don't think this is a joke...

Let's take a brief look at some other Nobel Laureates, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Mother Theresa, Aung San Suu Kyi, Muhamad Yunus.....Al Gore? I guess my problem is more that Gore hasn't been at his current gig very long. The others on the long list of laureates seem to have been committed to their causes for quite some time, often giving the majority of their lives, if not giving the ultimate sacrifice. Gore stopped being Vice-President 6 years ago, and he wasn't championing Climate Change much back then. Even Jimmy Carter, another recipient, had to work in Humanitarian work (in health charities, and Habitat for Humanity as well as others) for 20 years before being awarded his.

Most of the Laureates are true peacemakers, people who are required to sacrifice, to make unpopular decisions, decisions which put their careers and often their lives on the line. What has Al Gore had to give up? Has he championed his cause so much that he has given up his mansions to live in smaller more eficient more environmentally friendly settings? Has his life become harder in any way? Politically he has only strengthened his position, in what many of his critics think of being a far too "calculated" way (although I'm not THAT cynical..but close). Why not award the prize to someone in greenpeace who has given their lives to this cause before it became popular? or even to a leading scientist who is championing the search for evidence in the face of skeptics? Why give it to a politician who has given far too ambiguous an answer to whether he'll run for president or not? Why give it to some guy who was just behind a documentary? I'm sure Al Gore is a great guy and great politician in many ways, but this was just the wrong choice.

If Al Gore were to make clear that he doesn't have personal political ambitions as the motivation for his work, and if he was to truly reach out to the political right, to help them understand and put aside other differences. If he would make sacrifices and risk his reputation with his usual constituency, then maybe he could be in the running, cause this would be what a peace maker should do, right? Instead, he has gone about his work producing more controversy, and less peace....sorry, but someone made a huge mistake here.

4 comments:

Mike and Sarah said...

It's probably bad Blog etiquette to comment on my own post, but I guess I don't want to edit it. I'm realising more and more how little I know of "truth" through the media that I grew up with (and wonder how much I can trust the media I go to now). I've spent a little time reading more about Gore and his background and at least according to a couple of authors on "Salon.com" he's been working on the issue of Human Caused Global Warming since his undergraduate days at Harvard. Who knows? Most likely there are people who know more about Gore and his life and his worthiness than I do. Ah well, it still doesn't stop ignorant people like me blogging about our every whim.

Mark said...

I would tend to agree...although your comment is right--Gore has been a champion of environmental causes for a long time. But still, given Gore's current surge in popularity among the political and cultural elite (at least in the U.S.), it seems like this Nobel Peace Prize was a little more like a homecoming king vote: a popularity contest.

Anonymous said...

One commentator in the Irish press kept pointing out that Gore was hardly a model of sacrificial environmentalism in his personal life e.g. SUVs, and using a private jet to get to his Inconvenient Truth gigs...

Unknown said...

Yes, I thought it was very odd that he won it. I knew he was being considered for a Noble prize, but I hadn't realized it was the peace prize. Somehow I thought that was given to someone who directly and substantially worked for peace in the world. And although global warming awareness is helpful, it doesn't seem to directly correlate.