Thursday, September 27, 2007

I'm leaving for southampton next monday, so things are really starting to speed up here at home. We had a small birthday dinner for my mom tonight, it was good to have the whole immediate family together even if everyone was exhausted like we were.

I passed my drivers theory test today, got one question wrong (I don't know which one, they didn't tell me), but I was happy with that, so I should have my provisional soon enough then.

I've been thinking about loads of things recently, Burma and everything happening there has been on my mind a lot, I listened to a podcast from a conference in which a guy from the simple way community and another guy from camden house were discussing a Christian Ecology in Seattle Pacific University (if you want to listen to it, go to Itunes store and search for "shane claiborne" it's the only free thing that comes up. It's been making me think about the implications of the gospel in challenging the consumeristic nature of our society which is in a quiet marriage with our capitalism. I don't know what the answers are economically, but I know, as the two speakers tried to say, that although the problem is a societal one, it begins with a personal problem, greed and the desire for growth, to consume ever more. It inspires me to want to learn more about community gardening and growing our own food and other supplies.....and/or living on seasonal fruit and vegetables grown locally (not that I eat much fruit). I'm still not sure what I think the answer is. In a rapidly urbanizing world, can we really all grow our own food? With population growth increasing at a phenomenal rate is that sustainable? I really believe that the current system is broken, but I also believe that God can "redeem the city". I'm constantly struck at how in the Christian metanarrative, the opening image is one of a garden while the closing one is of a city, it seems to be the progression of human civilisation, but the city at the end, is a place of justice and dynamic peace, much unlike the cities that we know today.

I'm still thinking, and not acting nearly as much as I should.

2 comments:

mhkingsley said...

Do you think it's possible to own an iPhone or a... Macbook! or any piece of technology in "sinless" way? These technologies exist because of consumerism and the Technological Society we find ourselves in. The answer can't be escaping from the city right? The kingdom is messy. I've really been conflicted about how much we "sin" just by living life in the western context. At the same time, I believe that Jesus lived in such a context. Seeing Jesus in the mess reminds me that I too can live in the mess.

Mike and Sarah said...

Yeah, I know we've talked about this since you posted this, but as we say, christianity is messy, the gospel is messy. I believe societal sin is real sin, and should change, but we're only personally accountable for our own actions. iPhone's and Macbook's don't exist purely for consumption though, do they? But that's not an excuse, the issue as always, with all issues, is at the heart. Do i need the best, newest one? Now I have one do I get another? Do I keep mine to myself or do I share it communally with others?