Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Friends who are gone...

I'm writing this from a house in Minneapolis, Minnesota. I was in Chicago for the past few days and came out here to visit Benjamin (my roommate from college, and Sam, who did the HNGR programme with me). Yesterday (and I can't believe it was only yesterday), I received a phone call as I was touring around with Sam and Benjamin which informed me that another friend of ours had committed suicide the night before. This was hard news to take. I knew this friend wasn't doing well, and had tried to take his life before, but i wasn't expecting this now. This has hit me after learning of the death, again through suicide, of another of my friend's at the begining of summer. I can't explain why these things happened. And I don't think I need to, but it's still hard. Both these guys were great people, who made me laugh and forced me to think harder about certain things. I've changed my plane ticket to fly home to Dublin a little later so that I can stay here and be here for the funeral service. Please pray for comfort for his family, who have been through hell these past few months I'm sure, and for all his friends who loved him so much, who he left behind.

Ironically, I guess, but the email I received giving me the news I put in the post below about Angola and Bishop came from this friend.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow. I'm so sorry. I was going to respond to your Angola blog (cuz I'd read it earlier), praising God for His mercy for the Bishop, and how cool that was. Reading this-that's hard my friend. To get great news from him before, and then devastating news about him-you feel sort of helpless when such a thing happens, sort of confused and wondering, and just really, really sad. I'm glad you and Sam and Benjamin are with each other and can mourn together. I will be praying for his family and for you, his friends in trying to cope with and digest this. Take care, and if you ever need to talk, you now have my number...

Gason's said...

Hey was just checking up your blog to see where you were and just read the news. I am so sorry to hear about your friend. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and his family at this time. Alex & Linda Xo