Monday, October 23, 2006

A "Momentous" Day...


So today 2 things happened important for my future life as a doctor (inshahlah).

1. I officially became a member of the British Medical Association They even gave me a membership card..... don't necessarily know how I feel belonging to a "professional" organization like that....

2. I purchased my first Stethoscope.- again something about that even doesn't sit well with me, I think it's too much a symbol of power....or something....

So yeah, I've always had issues to the "position" side of becoming a doctor. I don't like wearing a tie, and I don't like being called by a title. Is it necessary? I'm trying to keep an open mind, to learn from people who've been doing this thing longer than I've been around, but at the same time, avoid unnecessary indoctrination. How much detachment is necessary? How much "professional" demeanor? I know those can be useful things..... but then again, are they just symbols of power and position trying to reinforce the fallacy that the doctor is special in some way more than just having a particular education and vocation? I'm having to deal with things, lets just say the anti establishment side of me doesn't like being part of the establishment too much....

So, at least I had one good piece of news in this whole regard. I won't have to wear a white coat, at least while I'm working in Britain. They've been identified as an infection control risk (i.e. they don't get washed as much as they should and are floppy anyway, so not good at keeping clean). That's one age old symbol of the old ways that's gone at least.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't joined the AMA yet. We'd get a free Netter's atlas, but also somehow would have to sign up for a credit card, and that's weird.
So, that's interesting. I guess I've never thought of the stethoscope as a symbol of power, more of a necessary thing you'll have to use all the time...
As to the white coat thing, I think it goes kind of both ways. One the one hand for me (and cuz they stressed it) wearing the white coat, more than giving one a sense of power, gives a sense of responsibility-I am known as a doctor, yes, but somehow wearing it, at least now, reminds me of the importance of this is (or will be) real, and not to be taken lightly. Then again, I do feel cool wearing it, so maybe that's related to the power thing?
Probably, in reality, when I'm in practice, because of what type of work I'll probably go into, the white coat and professional dress will become less necessary. I'll probably still use the stethoscope though, so I can listen to their heart.
Title thing, you can use and abuse that. One the one hand, in clinic, you should have some way to identify "the person who does the treatment" from the patients, so they don't get confused. But, its not something that should ever be flaunted. Like Dr. Howell, everyone knew him as Brian, and got confused if I ever said Dr. Howell. I respected that.
I'm wary of both the detachment and professional demeanor too. I sort of understand the reasoning behind it (ie if your enmeshed in the lives of your patients,and bad things happen to them you'll be destroyed or loose objectivity or something), but then again, I don't know, it just doesn't sit quite right. It seems uncaring, impersonal, callous somehow. Then again, I haven't had any real experience with having my own patients yet, so I can't say for certain how I'd actually act/react. Things to ponder...
(and a "comment" that should perhaps have been in e-mail form-ah well)

Mike and Sarah said...

Hey Krissy,
hope you check this...
Yeah, I guess I don't think of a stethoscope as a symbol of power in its own right but it is a symbol of the bio-medical profession, which in turn is a symbol of often unquestioned power (probably less so in america, where people are used to sueing much more).

The other thing about the title and position thing is something I learned a bit about during my time in Cambodia. I'm not going to be able to get rid of my position and power as a Doctor, just as I wasn't able to get rid of the position and influence put on me as a Westerner in Cambodia, but I can still try to lessen it by showing reality. But since I can't get completely rid of it, better to use and spend it on behalf of the powerless and shafted of the world and society. Use the position to improve the lives of people who's chance of having position has been taken away. That'll be a way of making a positive change out of the circumstances that challenge my egalitarian ideals.

Anonymous said...

Yea, I can see your point about the stethoscope thing.
And I concur/affirm your thoughts gleaned from Cambodia. It bothers me (as it bothered you) if people pedistalize me in any way because of being a doctor (which people, who don't know me well, already seem to do, even though I'm barely started) so you're right, better to show humility and reality, and use such a position not for your/our own gain but in order to serve the forgotten and neglected. I'd respond/discuss more, but Friday/Monday/Wednesday exams are looming...