Thursday, June 22, 2006

A job...at last!

So I've finally found a summer job. It's not glamorous and it's very tiring, but it's a job I can believe in, feel good about and really learn from. I'm working for the Irish Section of Amnesty International as a member recruiter. Basically this means that I go out with a team of people each day on the streets of Dublin and we ask people if they want to become members (which of course requires a monthly or yearly donation). It's a tiring job (even though I've only done one day so far), but I think I'll like it, especially as I get more experienced in getting people to talk to me. If you don't know much about Amnesty you can click HERE for more info.

Here's a few things briefly.

  • Amnesty is the world's largest and oldest human rights organization.
  • It's not a development group but instead campaigns for the adherence to international law and rights for people based on the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
  • It's 4 main current international campaigns are 1) Combating Torture, 2) Stopping Violence Against Women, 3) Stricter Controls on the International Arms Trade, and 4) Ending the Death Penalty.

I strongly support these 4 campaigns. There are 3 other Domestic campaigns particular to Ireland: 1) Stopping Domestic Violence 2) Ensuring the Rights of the Mentally Ill 3) Anti-Racism

It's interesting learning about the Human Rights approach to tackling these issues. I don't necessarily see myself working with Amnesty in the future, as I'd like to work with people involved in more wholistic work, but I'm learning a lot by focusing on the rights angle.

Besides what I'm learning, the hours of the job are great 11:00-6:00 monday-friday and the pay is good too, 13 euro per hour.

Thanks those of you who have been praying that I'd find a job. I really think this is one of the best things I could have found in my situation (short time period to both find and do the job). Pray now that I'll have perseverance and success in this new job and that I'd continue to learn and get to know my co-workers.

Peace

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Michael! I hope this job does turn out to be beneficial for you and others on many levels. (from Katherine Becker)

Anonymous said...

Cool!