Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Wow, it's finally hitting me, I'm leaving in a few hours

Well, yesterday I found out that my plane ticket had been switched by the airline without informing me (arriving a day later and so I would miss a trip that I'm supposed to be going on), so I spent a good 2 hours on the phone (long distance by the way, thanks mom and dad for your phone bill generosity) and finally got it sorted out and have a flight (Praise God). As soon as I got that sorted and also since I phoned my professor in the States telling him I might be late, it's started to dawn on me that I really am going back to the U.S. of A. tomorrow, and more specifically the Wheaton community. I'm starting to feel the stomach pains of culture shock coming on, where things just feel a bit different but you can't put you're finger on exactly what and you feel dizzy for a week. But this is it, it's my last 5 months at a place that has shaped me disctinctly over the past 3.5 years. Weird.

By the way, thank you so much for all your comments about my previous two posts. Most of you made them by email to me, and that was cool too because you could put really indepth responses, but it would have also been cool to get some discussion so each we could all be challenged by one another. I'd also like to draw our attention to the top of the blog where there is a disclaimer that basically says I hold no allegiance to the thoughts that I put down in my blog. I'm as confused about all this as others and some days I find myself being overly uncomfortable and I think, "Wow that guy's such a woman" or other day's I think there should be hard and wide distinctions in gender, and still other times when I see an extremely effective leader who is a woman, or a single father tenderly platting his daughter's hair (okay I confess I've only seen that on T.V.) I wonder what's the point of these gender things at all.

My brother mentioned the other day in conversation that the whole Metrosexual thing we see in big world cities may be a verging response to this by society (even though it might not be the healthiest of responses). Anyway, something to think about.

I leave tomorrow on an Aer Lingus flight at 13:30 and hope to arrive in Chicago at 15:50 (it's cool that they have these quick 2 hour flights now).

All the best, and it'll be cool to see some of you when I get there and I'm going to miss others of you when I leave here.

No comments: